Sunday, April 16, 2017

The Paperless Classroom is Coming

Source:
Scherer, M. (2014). The Paperless Classroom is Coming. Time, 184(15), 36-38.

Summary:
Michael Scherer begins by explaining a back to school night in a tech savvy teacher's classroom. Parents had many concerns and not enough time to voice them. Scherer explains that because of President Obama's initiative to get all students technology that this technology classroom would become more regular. This teacher is aiming to be paperless and started off his teaching career as a computer lab teacher. He is taking his activities from writing problems down on paper to doing things with the knowledge that they could not do without the technology.

In the next section, Scherer talks about some of the glitches that schools need to overcome when using more technology. Many schools think that if they simply buy technology, that something will happen. Teachers and parents may have steep learning curves on how to use them correct. He goes on to explain that increased blue light exposure could lead to eye problems, and that computer use could lead to other health problems as well.

After this, the article moves back to how devices in the classroom can help to personalize education, increase scores, and help to motivate students in new ways. The article ends with the explanation of how the teacher at back to school night is very excitedly sharing YouTube videos, work from his students, and explanations of technology use in college. One of the parents that was originally showing concern told the teacher, "I love your enthusiasm."

Reflection:
Our district, or school, I'm not entirely sure, has recently explained that we are short on paper. They have encouraged teachers to use less paper in their classrooms. I have been using the computers a lot in my room in new ways instead of paper pencil worksheets, sharing documents through Google, and posting to our learning management system, Schoology. Yet, I am not completely paperless myself. In some ways, I like the idea of being paperless - less mess, easier to find everything that I need, students and myself can have access to things more easily. Despite this though, I agree with some of the concerns the parents had and have more of a blended approach in my room. I share the majority of things with my students electronically in some way, but also print certain things for them.  Trying to be semi-paperless really helps to make me think about what things should be printed and what things would work better or be okay electronically. Paperless is great, but sometimes I feel like we (teachers and students) still need to manipulate paper materials. This is the reason why I still have a plan book! I tried keeping my plans online and found that for me, paper plans were much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment